The Red Truck
The History of the Five-Window Chevy Truck began in 1947 when Chevrolet broke away from prewar truck styling. The so-called Advanced Design trucks placed an emphasis on cab comfort and safety. For the 1947 to 1954 models, stylists conceived the five-window cab, formally known as the Deluxe Cab, to eliminate the blind spots in the rear quarter panels of the cab. This allowed the driver to look over his shoulder to view the rear instead of poking his head out the window. The Five-Window design and the “Bull-Nose” grill were abandoned in the 1955 model year, but not until halfway through the model year. The First Series still had the “Bull Nose” grill, rounded hood, and running boards. The Second Series did away with all those things, in favor of a more “stylish” look.
Kelley bought this truck in the Spring of 2023 after much research,
and several failed buying attempts around the Country.
- 1955 (First Series) Chevy 3100
- 5 -Window Pickup
- One-piece curved windscreen
- 3 on the Tree
- Newer Engine[i]Perhaps with 12 volt system (generator, starter, flywheel, regulator, and ignition? & Original “Tranny”?
- Head GM30 #3836848[ii]The 3836848 head was used from 1957-62. The compression ratio was raised from 8:1 in 1957 to 8:25 in 1958 and later, using the same casting. Also on the Head – B82 848 850.
- Trying to confirm #3764474 Block casting would be 1959-62. The F827A means made in Flint on 8-27 (Aug 27) – could be any year between 1956 and 1962. The A means passenger car / standard transmission / 235 cid.
- Original 6 volt system converted to 12 volt; correctly?
- Starter motor?
- Flywheel # of teeth?
- Ballast resistor bypass?
- Wooden bed
- Original Radio
- Vin #
- License # Historical 833P
- Assigned Identification #
- CA 943996 / control # 1022996
- Technical Details
- Carburetor – 1950-1959 Chevy 1bbl Rochester 6cyl 230 #7002051?
Plastic Bed Protection
New Whitewall Tires (R640-16)
Spare Tire Mount
Bench Seat Adjustment
Floor Mat Fitting
Power Brakes Adjust
Purple Eye Taillights
Please consider this page a Work In Progress as we learn more about the truck and integrate it into the Patchen business model.
Written: July 4, 2023
Published: July 4, 2023
Reader feedback always appreciated[iii]. . thoughtful commentary perhaps more so than shallow thoughts
|↑i||Perhaps with 12 volt system (generator, starter, flywheel, regulator, and ignition?|
|↑ii||The 3836848 head was used from 1957-62. The compression ratio was raised from 8:1 in 1957 to 8:25 in 1958 and later, using the same casting.|
|↑iii||. . thoughtful commentary perhaps more so than shallow thoughts|